These installation instructions will contribute to a proper functioning of the seal. The installation of the seal as well as seal finish, the finish of the mating surfaces, the design of the application etc. will affect the leak tightness.
1 - Seal
- To avoid damage the seals should remain in the original packaging until they are needed for installation.
- Upon opening of the packaging take care that seals are not damaged due to the use of sharp objects. Even little scratches on the sealing surface can prevent the required tightness from being achieved.
- Before installing the seal the sealing surface of the seal should be inspected for scratches, damages or other imperfections.
- Manipulate the seals only by hand and do not use any tool that touches the sealing surface to inspect or install the seal.
- In applications where high leak tightness is required it is recommended to manipulate the seals with gloves.
2 - Groove and Flanges
- The finish of the groove, flange or cover must always be in circular direction (except for CA-seals and Commaseals®). Milled grooves can result in leaks.
- The lower the seal load the better the groove surface finish should be.
- The leak rate of an application always depends on the condition of the seal and the groove surface.
- The recommended roughness of the groove, flange or cover depends on the chosen seal.
- Make sure that the sealing area is free of dirt, dust or burrs.
- Every scratch on the sealing area can lead to leakage; only scratches in circular direction are allowed.
- Before installing the seal it is recommended that the groove, flange or cover is cleaned with a dust free cloth with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) or acetone to prevent dirt and dust being trapped between seal and fl ange. The groove should be inspected for scratches, damage or other imperfections.
3 - Installing the Seals
- The seal must be installed very carefully into the groove to avoid scratches.
- The cover or flange must be put very carefully into place so that no damage or scratches can occur.
- Try to avoid the use of oil, grease or other products to install the seal.
- If the flange is tightened with bolts, the bolts should be tightened cross wise so that the seal is compressed evenly.
4 - Technical Data
For technical information, e.g. pressure, temperature range and fi nish of construction, please contact HTMS.